How to cook chicken Varutharacha curry (Best Indian Curry 2021)
South India is area encompassing five Indian states along with two island groups of Lakshadweep in the Arabian Sea and Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal. South India is the country’s heaven of natural beauty abundant with lush green forests and national parks, serene backwaters, mystic hills, intricately carved temples, beautiful beaches, and architectural wonders.
Some of my favorite and best places to visit in South India are backwaters in Alleppey, Kerala, the architectures in Hampi, Karnataka, The Frenchy Colony in Pondicherry, pastel colored French buildings in Pondicherry, mystical green tea gardens of Munnar, stunning beaches in Gokarna, coffee and spice gardens in Coorg, and the hills in Coorg. Apart from these places, South India has a lot more to offer to the travellers.
South Indian Foods
Along with the scenic beauty, South India has some mouth-watering foods, the taste of which shall remain for a long time. Idli, Dosa, Uttapam, Vada, Bhat, and Sevai are some very well-known dishes of South India. It also has Chettinad cuisine. Vellai Paniyaram, Kandharappam, Masala Seeyam, and Karuppatti Paniyaram are some delicious dishes in this cuisine.
Some of the lesser-known yet tasty street foods of every South Indian state are:
- Kerala – Fried Fish, Parippu Vada, Thattu Dosa, Kozhi Porichathu, Pazhampuri
- Tamil Nadu – Iddiyappam, Atho, Mohinga, Burmese Egg Masala, Parotta
- Karnataka – Mangalore Buns, Goli Bhaje, Mangalore Aloo Boonda, Cabbage Vada, Onion Bhajji, Balekai Podi, Jeegujje Podi, Churu
- Andhra Pradesh – Punugulu, Pulihora Pulusu, Pindi Vantalu
Two dishes that caught my attention are Chicken Varutharacha Curry with Phulka, and the most popular Payasam. Chef Kathir at Palais de Mahe showed me how to cook chicken Varutharacha which is a dish rich in flavor and I want to share this dish with you.
CHICKEN VARUTHARACHA CURRY WITH PHULKA
This is a very delicious South Indian dish. Chicken Varutharacha is a chicken curry from Kerala especially from Malabar region. The roasted coconut along with a lot of rich spices, gives it the traditional taste. This chicken curry can be a great combination with rice, puttu, appam and what not. But one of my favorite food to have with this chicken curry is phulka. Phulka is a puffed Indian bread, which is also known as roti or chapati.
Recipe on how to make Chichen Varutharacha Curry:
- Marinate 2 kg chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 3 teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons coriander powder, 1 teaspoon meat masala, and 2 teaspoons salt. Rub these spices on the chicken well. Let it sit for 30minutes to an hour.
- In a thick bottom pan, add 2 cups of desiccated coconut (refer the picture given below), 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, whole red chilies, 10 garlic cloves, 5 shallot cloves, some curry leaves, and 1 ½ teaspoons peppercorns. Roast till golden brown. Add 2 teaspoons coconut in between.
- Grind it into a fine paste by adding a little amount of water.
- Heat 3 tablespoons coconut oil in a clay pot. Add 1inch cinnamon stick and saute well.
- Add garlic cloves, shallots, ginger, curry leaves and saute well.
- Add sliced pieces of 2 onions. Add salt and saute till onions become soft.
- Add 4 green chilies and saute well.
- Add 1 sliced tomato and combine well.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add grinded coconut and ¾ cup water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add 1 teaspoon pepper powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil, and add chopped shallots, 3 tablespoons coconut spices and some curry leaves and fry till golden brown.
- Pour this mixture into the curry and mix well.
- Serve it hot with rice or phulka.
amazing view best curry in south india best indian curry in 2021 cooking at home delicious varutharacha curry easy made indian curry in 2021 easy made pad thai easy made thai food ecological experiences fried noodles fried water spinach he huan shan hiking in taiwan hiking trails how to cook red curry how to do red curry paste how to make pad thai how to make stir fried water spinach ingredients for red curry paste ingredients red curry kaffir lime leaves lemongrass mountain view pad krapao pad thai padthai pad thai zuhause pak boong fai daeng pat krapow phat krapow red curry paste ingredients scenic platform stir-fried morning glory stir fried chicken stir fried morning glory stir fried noodles street food taiwan trip thai basil chicken thai cuisine thai essentials thai food thai morning glory thai red curry thai water spinach